Preparation for Pantry Pest Treatment
There are many types of beetles, weevils and moths that commonly infest cupboards. They find their way into your pantry by hitchhiking on food products, or in storage bags and boxes. We recommend you discard any infested items and thoroughly clean infested areas. Plan ahead and follow the instructions below to prepare for a successful professional treatment of your home.
Here’s what to do:
- Plan to evacuate all occupants and animals from inside the premises for four to six (4-6) hours or until the treatment materials are dry.
- Remove and discard all infested material and food (including in and under sinks and cabinets).
- Remove all food from top of fridge, counter tops and cabinets. Empty kitchen cabinets and drawers.
- Seal all food after opening (including pet food). Place food in tightly sealed containers or store in the refrigerator.
- Clean all kitchen and pantry surfaces, shelving and cabinets from food crumbs and debris.
- Remove all shelf paper and wash cupboards with hot soapy water.
- Keep garbage in closed containers and take garbage out every night.
- Remove all clutter and debris (i.e. newspapers, boxes, bags, clothing, books, etc.).
Preparation of Pets
In most cases the adult insects lay eggs in cracks and crevices of shelving, boxes and rims of canned goods. Check your bagged, boxed or canned pet food thoroughly for pests.
Here’s what to do for pets:
- Plan to evacuate all animals from inside the premises for six (6) hours or more.
- Prepare birds and reptiles to evacuate the premises for ten (10) hours minimum.
- Fish tanks need to be unplugged and covered.
Do not clean surfaces after treatment!
Do not clean the treated surface areas because this will remove the materials used to combat your problem. After treatment is completely dry, you may return the cleaned non-infested sealed products back to the cabinets. If you are uneasy about having your food stored in close proximity to the sprayed materials, use temporary shelf paper as a barrier.
what's a Pantry pest look like?
Do-it-yourself pantry pest
Follow these instructions to prepare your home.