Bed Bug Control
You want to get rid of the bed bugs and so do we.
Bed bugs can be introduced into your home from anywhere such as movie theaters, restaurants and hotels. Eliminating bed bugs is not an easy task. It takes a lot of effort to prepare your home before treatment. Proper home preparation is necessary for the success of treatment and prevention of future infestation.
Our Bed Bug Service Includes
- Removal - We remove bed bugs and debris from all accessible areas such as baseboards, moldings, carpet edges, mattresses, box springs, and underside of dressers, nightstands and furniture with a vacuum.
- Hidden Areas - We treat cracks, crevices and wall voids throughout the home where bed bugs hide.
- Furniture - We treat bed frames, underside of dressers, nightstands, chairs and furniture. Wheels, casters, posts and all legs of furniture are treated.
- Mattreses - We treat the seams, folds and edges of mattresses and complete box springs.
- Box Springs - Hypoallergenic covers are installed on all box springs.
Corky’s Annual Bed Bug Service
After your initial bed bug service, you may qualify and sign up for our annual bed bug program. This service begins one month after your initial treatment. Regular visits commence thereafter and are scheduled quarterly to inspect and treat if necessary.
Bed bugs are difficult to control. Many steps need to be taken to eliminate these parasites. Preparing your home before treatment is a major part of bed bug control. We understand there is a lot to do, but it is imperative before treatment. We’ve provided instructions below on how to prepare.
If your home is not properly prepared by the time of treatment, treatment may not be performed. In the event treatment can’t be done, a $45 service fee will be charged and the treatment may be rescheduled.
If services are cancelled at the door or without a 48-hour notice to our office, a $175.00 service fee will be charged. This policy exists solely to offset the cost of allotting time to perform the service that cannot be recovered.
Please follow these instructions:
Plan ahead and follow the detailed preparation instructions to help with bed bug eradication.
- Remove all bedding. Place into sealed plastic bags to be washed and/or dried or dry cleaned. Remove bagged items for dry cleaning prior to treatment.
- Dismantle the bed including the mattress and box spring. Set it all on the floor in the room to be treated.
- Wash and clean fabrics according to the instructions below.
- Remove curtains and window dressings. Separate garments into sealed plastic bags to be washed and/or dried or dry cleaned. Remove bagged items for dry cleaning prior to treatment.
- Remove all wall art, wall plates, lamps, sconces and pictures.* Keep in the room to be treated.
- Remove all clutter and debris from the floor (i.e. shoes, clothes, toys, books, etc.).
- Thoroughly vacuum all floors and carpets. Empty vacuum contents into a sealed plastic bag and discard to an outside receptacle. Our treatment must start with a clean environment.
- Shake and clean items from the top of dressers, nightstands, desks, etc. and place them into sealed plastic containers. Leave containers inside the home.
- Empty all closets. Separate clothing and garments into sealed plastic bags to be washed and/or dried or dry cleaned. Remove bagged items for dry cleaning prior to treatment.
- Empty all drawers. Shake and wipe clean accessories such as shoes, handbags, etc. Place them into sealed plastic bags and leave in the home.
- Replace cardboard storage boxes with plastic sealable storage containers. Be sure to shake and clean contents before sealing.
- Prepare birds and reptiles to evacuate the premises for ten (10) hours.
- Unplug and cover fish tanks the day of treatment.
- Plan to evacuate all occupants and animals from insides the premises for a minimum of four (4) hours until the treatment materials are dry.
* Please notify us when scheduling about any antiques, fine art or collectibles in the home. Special precautions will need to be taken.
Do not remove items from the infested room until these items are secured in plastic bags or containers.
Wash all garments before returning to rooms
Before taking on this task, please read all fabric labels to determine washability such as not washable, machine washable or dry clean only.
We cannot assume responsibility for damage to items due to improper handling.
- Separate all items before removing them, into separated loads (i.e. machine wash or dry cleaning).
- Empty separated sealed bagged laundry loads directly into the washer or dryer. Carefully discard the empty bags to an outside receptacle.
- Wash all clothing in hot water and dry on the highest setting allowed for the garments for at least 30 minutes.
- We are not responsible for damage done as a result of high heat, so please read the labels on washables to choose the appropriate cleaning method.
- Non-washable items, curtains or area rugs, may be placed in the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes if tolerance to high heat is a characteristic of the fabric type.
Bed Bug Facts
When not feeding, bed bugs hide in a variety of places – not just beds. Bed bugs can be found in beds near the piping, seams and tags of the mattress and box spring, and in cracks on the bed frame and headboard. If the room is heavily infested, you’ll find bed bugs in the seams of chairs and couches, between cushions, in the folds of curtains, in drawer joints, in electrical receptacles and appliances, under loose wallpaper and wall hangings – even in the head of a screw. Since bed bugs are only about the width of a credit card, they can squeeze into really small hiding spots. If a crack will hold a credit card, it can hide a bed bug.
Bed Bug Life Cycle
Female bed bugs may lay 1-5 eggs per day until they produce about 200 eggs. The eggs may hatch in 6-10 days in warm weather or heated buildings. Nymphs emerge, and try to find a blood meal. When they do, they will go through five nymphal molt stages and become adults. This usually takes about 35-48 days. The adults may survive for long periods of time in empty houses, waiting for their favorite meal – man. Well-fed adults can live up to a year and a half.
Bed Bug Infestation
The earliest and most accurate method to identify a possible bed bug infestation is to look for physical signs. Examine surfaces when cleaning and changing bedding, and check suitcases and clothing when you travel.
Look for the following physical signs:
- Dark spots, which are bed bug excrement and may bleed on the fabric like a marker.
- Eggs and eggshells, which are tiny (about 1mm) and white.
- Skins that nymphs shed as they grow larger.
- Rusty or reddish stains on bedsheets or mattresses caused by bed bugs being crushed.
- Live bed bugs.
All bed bugs need blood to develop and survive. Bed bugs inject an anti-coagulant and an anesthetic so the bite is not felt until the blood flows. The blood is sucked via the cutting mouthparts and is later expelled out as a dark staining fecal liquid. It usually takes five to ten minutes for a bed bug to become completely filled with blood.
Don't wait to get treatment for bed bugs. The sooner you call, the sooner you'll get a better nights rest.
Bed Bug Video Script
Hi this is corky. Here to tell you about bed bugs.
Successful eradication of bed bugs, depends on the cooperative effort of the homeowner and the pest control company. Bed bug treatment requires more preparation on your part than most other pest treatments.
Bed bugs aren’t just limited to your bed. They can be found anywhere in your home. Before your bed bug treatment, we’ll provide you with a list of all the steps you need to take to prepare. Make sure you go over this list throughly and take all the recommended steps. You can also find the list on our website under bedbugs.
To give you some idea of how extensive your preparation must be, here are a few of the required steps:
- Strip the bed of all sheets and bedding. Put them into a sealable bag and wash them as soon as possible.
- Before we arrive you’ll need to dismantle your bed, including the mattress and box spring. Set them on the floor in the room to be treated.
- Remove the drawers from your dresser and place them down for us so we can treat inside the dresser.
These are just a few of the steps you’ll need to take. Once again, see our preparation list for the rest of the steps.
Once your home is properly prepared, our technican will administer treatment.
We remove bed bugs from all accessible areas such as baseboards, molding, carpet edges, mattresses, box springs, night stands and furniture with a vacuum.
We treat cracks crevice and wall voids throughout the home where bed bugs hide.